In the wake of the Spurs’ crushing defeat of Oklahoma City* last night in Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals, it seems an appropriate moment to visit the basketball in art. The reigning champion of the genre is David Hammons, but other artists have explored the theme as well. Here is a sampling. Defend to the End!
Finally, a special shout-out to a couple of rec centers in Florida for their remarkably good basketball-themed public art:
*If you haven’t seen it yet, last month the Thunder’s Kevin Durant delivered the only basketball MVP speech likely to bring you to tears. It’s worth a watch.
Rainey Knudson is the founder and publisher of Glasstire.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Hate The Art World? You’ll Love William Wegman - April 17th, 2016
- When Nothing is Something: a Hole at Artpace - April 9th, 2016
- Notes On a Non-Blockbuster at the DMA: Irwin, Flavin, and Antonakos - March 18th, 2016
- Houston City Council Still Wants Public Art To Die (and HAA Is Making It Easy For Them) - March 4th, 2016
- On Residencies, and the Fractured Legacy of Linda Pace - February 28th, 2016