In the wake of the Spurs’ crushing defeat of Oklahoma City* last night in Game 5 of the Western Conference Finals, it seems an appropriate moment to visit the basketball in art. The reigning champion of the genre is David Hammons, but other artists have explored the theme as well. Here is a sampling. Defend to the End!
Finally, a special shout-out to a couple of rec centers in Florida for their remarkably good basketball-themed public art:
*If you haven’t seen it yet, last month the Thunder’s Kevin Durant delivered the only basketball MVP speech likely to bring you to tears. It’s worth a watch.
Rainey Knudson is the founder and publisher of Glasstire.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Looking for Texas Art in Texas - February 7th, 2016
- An Open Letter to the Other 49 States - January 24th, 2016
- Prints, and Architectural Pathos, at the Art Museum of Southeast Texas - January 3rd, 2016
- Rothko, in Retrospect - December 18th, 2015
- The Best Defense is Good Offensiveness - December 6th, 2015