David Rubin, San Antonio Museum of Art (SAMA)’s Brown Foundation Curator of Contemporary Art, submitted his letter of resignation on Tuesday effective immediately, reports the San Antonio Express-News.
Rubin joined SAMA in 2006 after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, where he had been serving as the Contemporary Arts Center’s Curator of Visual Arts for almost seven years. At SAMA, Rubin has been responsible for the permanent collection, exhibitions, as well as programming such as the popular Artist Conversation Series.
If there is any more to the “effective immediately” resignation, it doesn’t look like it will come from the museum. “David has contributed so much to this museum,” states SAMA Director Katie Luber, “and I think he’s decided to pursue some other options and looking for some other great possibilities to further his desire to support the local artists in this community,” The museum does not expect to have a replacement in place until January of next year.
also by Paula Newton
- Last Weekend to See Big Texas Butter Sculpture - October 21st, 2016
- Houston Architects Name Artist of the Year - October 20th, 2016
- Another Houston Artist Hits the Small Screen - October 19th, 2016
- Artist to Create Sculpture from Guy Clark’s Ashes - October 13th, 2016
- Artists as Human Beings on TV - October 11th, 2016