An expected 3,500 entomologists are swarming the Austin Convention Center this week for the 61st Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America (ESA). While it may include the usual networking, dry seminars and some bug swag, it also hosts the annual Linnaean Games, a highly anticipated national insect trivia competition. The college bowl-style competition on entomological facts is serious business and has merited an article in Smithsonian Magazine.
Also on the schedule this year is the insect-inspired group exhibition, Eclosion, organized by Austinite Hayley Gillespie at Art.Science.Gallery. Gillespie and a jury of national artist-scientists selected 57 works in a variety of media by 44 artists from across the country. Eclosion (the act of an adult insect emerging from its pupal case) should entertain the ESA conventioneers this week, but it will remain up during East Austin Studio Tour (November 16-17 and 23-24).
also by Paula Newton
- This Week: Houston! Next Week: Marfa! - September 30th, 2016
- Houston’s Smither Park Officially (Re)Opens - September 29th, 2016
- Two Texans Make ArtPrize Shortlist! - September 27th, 2016
- Idea Fund Round 9: Deadline, Info, and Jurors - September 26th, 2016
- Artists and Collectors to Show off their Weird Houston Homes - September 23rd, 2016