Every other spring, graphic novelist Mat Johnson teaches a graphic novel workshop at the University of Houston, a collaborative offering of UH’s esteemed Creative Writing Program and almost as esteemed Mitchell Center. Since everyone dreams of fame as a graphic novelist, if they haven’t achieved it already, the course is attractive.
This evening, they’re celebrating the release of the first printed anthology of students’ class projects- Tier One, from “Cougar Comics,” which will be available 6 – 8 p.m., May 6 at Alabama Song (2521 Oakdale St.). The first 100 attendees will receive a free copy of the book. Authors and artists will be on hand to sign copies.
Student writers included in the anthology include Olga Feliciano, Will Wilkinson, Dickson Lam, Zachary Martin, Thomas Frey, Laura Fletcher, Diego Vicent, Sebastian Montes, and Bryan Owens, in collaboration with artists Alex Riegel, Maria-Elisa Heg, AnnaMaria Bryant, Ted Closson, Jarrod Perez, and Brett Owens.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015