Dallas art collective HOMECOMING! Committee wants your GIF. They’re collecting animated GIF files, those little jerky almost-movies beloved by the colony of retro-technologists and self styled “circuit benders” clustering in North Texas, for a contest and exhibition on April 20 from 7-11 p.m. Called “GIF the Fuck Out,” the show will collect the best of submitted .gifs and display them at 2650B Main St. in Deep Ellum for audience voting, with background sounds provided by Marshall Thompson, DJG, and DJ DAUG.
GIF, (short for Graphics Interchange Format) can be pronounced with either a hard G, as in “I’ve got a little gif’ for you, honey” or with a soft G, like the peanut butter. It was developed by Compuserve in 1987, and is is one of the earliest color image formats.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015