Seminal postpainterly expressionist Helen Frankenthaler died on December 27 at age 83, after a long illness, reports Art Daily. Since her first solo exhibition at NY’s Tibor De Nagy gallery in 1951, which pointed to a way out of brushy ab-ex towards color field painting, Frankenthaler experimented with many media- most recently woodblock printmaking.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015