Seminal postpainterly expressionist Helen Frankenthaler died on December 27 at age 83, after a long illness, reports Art Daily. Since her first solo exhibition at NY’s Tibor De Nagy gallery in 1951, which pointed to a way out of brushy ab-ex towards color field painting, Frankenthaler experimented with many media- most recently woodblock printmaking.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015