Houston-born, San Antonio-based artist Cruz Ortiz has been selected to produce art for the Texas Democratic Convention, reports the Houston Chronicle. The Convention will take place June 16-18 in San Antonio.
Perhaps best known for his graphic and font-based prints, Ortiz also runs the design firm Snake Hawk Press. Besides making prints and paintings, he has produced community projects, performance pieces, and interactive work. While his print shop and his youthful, San Antonio-inspired style makes him a pretty perfect fit for the job, anything could happen with Ortiz in the mix. “We’ve got some fun stuff in the works (for the convention)—maybe even some chihuahua races,” he said. “A Bernie Sanders chihuahua racing a Hillary Clinton chihuahua.”
also by Paula Newton
- Finally! News for Cats - March 27th, 2017
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017
- Trump’s “Border Wall” Shines Spotlight on EP Women’s Filmmaker Collective - March 23rd, 2017
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017