Lawndale Art Center in Houston has opened its call for entries for this year’s juried Big Show, which is an annual tradition and truly a big, big friggin’ show. (Pretty much every big-name artist in Houston has been in the Big Show at some point; it started in 1984.) The show is open to all artists working in all media, as long as they live within a 100-mile radius of Lawndale. The work needs to be new (i.e. never before exhibited). The application deadline is June 1, and the show opening is July 22. As usual, there’s some prize money to go around.
This year’s jurors are (via Lawndale): “Apsara DiQuinzio, Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art and Phyllis C. Wattis MATRIX Curator of the Berkeley Art Museum and Tina Kukielski, Executive Director of ART21.”
also by Glasstire
- Blanton Gifted Set of Leon Polk Smith Paintings and Drawings - August 17th, 2017
- Top Five: August 17, 2017 - August 16th, 2017
- The Tom of Finland Movie - August 16th, 2017
- Gunnar Birkerts, Architect Who Designed CAMH, Dies at 92 - August 16th, 2017
- Dallas Architecture Forum Hosts Chinati and MASS MoCA - August 15th, 2017