Rainey Knudson and Christina Rees on meeting famous photographers, acne-riddled garden gnomes, and pinewood derbies.
1. Alex Kvares: Sunglasses on a Skeleton
Front Gallery (Houston)
February 20 – March 12
An exhibition of new works on paper by Brooklyn-based artist Alex Kvares. The artist’s work is shaped by his lifelong interests in philosophy, political history, art history, music, and pop culture.
2. Sasha Koozel Reibstein & Scott Rosenberg: Strangely Familiar
Zoya Tommy Contemporary (Houston)
February 26 – March 26
Opens February 26, 6-8PM
Artist talk February 27, 1-2PM
An exhibition examining the tendency of the human mind to “attach meaning to unfamiliar objects.” The show features sculptures by Sasha Koozel Reibstein and Scott Rosenberg.
3. The Next Chapter: 154 Glass Street
Photographs Do Not Bend Gallery (Dallas)
February 27 – April 23
Opens February 27, 5-8PM
An exhibition of gallery artists. Featuring works by Bill Owens, Bill Kennedy, William Greiner, Paul Greenberg, Delilah Montoya, Michael Kenna, Kevin Horan, Chema Madoz, Jock Sturges, Jack Ridley, Jeffrey Silverthorne, Don Schol, Jimmy & Dena Katz, Chris Verene, Jesse Alexander, Jesús Moroles, David Graham, Carlotta Corpron, Esteban Pastorino Diaz, Earlie Hudnall, Jr., Keith Carter, Barbara Maples, Ida Lansky, Al Satterwhite, George Krause, Nickolas Muray, Neal Slavin, John Albok, Wu Jialin, Stewart Cohen, Mariana Yampolsky, Philip Lamb, Morris Engle, Harold Feinstein, Mario Algaze, Jan van Leeuwen, John Herrin, Stuart Allen, Peter Brown, Geof Kern and more.
4. BRING SNACKS
The Union Studios/Pariah (Dallas)
February 27 – March 15
Opens February 27, 7-10PM
An exhibition of works by Randy Guthmiller, Shelby David Meier and Paul Winker.
5. Mapping the Flow: Journals, Lists, Daily News
Rudolph Blume Fine Art | ArtScan Gallery (Houston)
February 27 – March 26
Opens February 27, 6-8PM
An exhibition examining the elusiveness of time. The show features works by Annette Lawrence, Vincent Falsetta, Tudor Mitroi and Ed Blackburn.
also by Glasstire
- Blanton Announces New Curatorial Position and Appointment - December 2nd, 2016
- Scott Gilbert’s True Artist Tales Part 2 - December 2nd, 2016
- Five New Public Art Works For a Richardson Mixed-Use Development - December 1st, 2016
- Top Five: December 1, 2016 - December 1st, 2016
- MFAH Announces New Curatorial Fellows - November 30th, 2016