How many people have you heard say, “I can’t do that, I’m not an artist”? That attitude never stopped the folks featured in the Amon Carter Museum’s current exhibitions Self-Taught Genius: Treasures from the American Folk Art Museum and Texas Folk Art. Some of these artists are called “self-taught” and some are called “divinely inspired,” but all were strongly compelled to make stuff whether or not any authority told them they were good enough to do so.
In conjunction with these exhibitions, the Carter Museum is asking visitors to draw inspiration from this attitude. It is hosting a mega “Art in the Dark” community program Thursday, Oct. 22 from 5:30-9:30pm. The evening includes art-making, art-searching, art-reading, art-touring, art-smart lectures, food trucks, and live music. For more info, go here.
Check it out: maybe you ARE an artist!
also by Paula Newton
- Texas Medal of Arts Announces 2017 Honorees - January 17th, 2017
- Dessert Before Dinner: Houston Couple Pledges Entire Show to MFAH - January 16th, 2017
- Mixed Responses to Call for Artist Trump Protests - January 13th, 2017
- Party! Come Congratulate the Idea Fund Grantees - January 12th, 2017
- Phillip Johnson and "Kitty Porn" - January 10th, 2017