It’s summertime! Cool beer. Hot art. Go see it all, and come by the Big Show opening at Lawndale Friday night, where we’ll be shooting video and handing out koozies. (you know you want one)
1. The Big Show 2015
Lawndale Art Center
July 10 – August 8, 2015
Opens July 10, 6:30–8:30 pm
An annual open-call, juried exhibition, this year featuring works by 62 artists selected by juror George Scheer, co-founder of Elsewhere in Greensboro, NC.
2. Kira Lynn Harris: Glittering Dystopias
Women & Their Work
July 11 – August 29, 2015
Opens July 11, 7–9 pm
An exhibition of new, site specific drawings and installations by New York-based artist Kira Lynn Harris examining visual representations of the city in contemporary culture.
3. I AM A CAMERA
July 9 – August 29, 2015
Opens July 9, 6–8 pm
An exhibition about representation, sexual orientation, gender identity expression, and society featuring photographic works focused on LGBTQ communities by nine international artists Zackary Drucker & Rhys Ernst, Sunil Gupta, Lindsay Morris, Frédéric Nauczyciel, Irina Popova, Anna Charlotte Schmid, Paul Mpagi Sepuya, and Charan Singh.
4. William Wegman: Good Dogs on Nice Furniture
July 9 – August 15, 2015
Opens July 9, 6–8 pm
An exhibition of photographs in which Wegman’s good doggies pose on fancy furniture by Herman Miller, Charles and Ray Eames, and George Nelson. **We’re bringing Wegman to Houston for a talk in the spring of 2016 as part of OFF ROAD, our new speaker series!!**
OK, the link Rainey mentioned isn’t online but here’s a great early video by Wegman from the 1970s.
5. Dallas Gallery Day!
Saturday, July 11, 2015 | 12–8 pm
Sweatin’ in Big D!! This year’s participating spaces can be found here.
also by Glasstire
- FotoFest Announces 2018 Biennial Theme & More - January 16th, 2017
- Section of Berlin Wall at Rice University Defaced with Pro-Trump Graffiti - January 15th, 2017
- Houston Performance Art Festival Announces Lineup — And It's Good! - January 14th, 2017
- Dallas Contemporary Will Organize the Ukrainian Pavilion for the Venice Biennale - January 12th, 2017
- Top Five: January 12, 2017 - January 12th, 2017