Giant art commissions by two Houston-based artists have been selected as among the top public arts projects in the U.S. by the Public Art Network Year in Review. Patrick Renner and Dixie Friend Gay created the works cited in the annual survey, which was founded by the national advocacy non-profit Americans For the Arts and its Public Art Network branch. 37 pieces were chosen in all; the jury for the selection is made up of national artists who specialize in public art commissions.
Patrick Renner’s “Funnel Tunnel” installed along Montrose Boulevard in Houston is a 180-foot long painted reclaimed-wood and steel sculpture commissioned by Art League Houston. Dixie Friend Gay’s “North Texas Sunrise” is a 63-foot long mosaic mural (pictured) in the lobby at Love Field Airport in Dallas, commissioned by Love Field as part of its public arts program. Congratulations to both artists.
(photo: Nathan Cox/CultureMap Dallas)
also by Christina Rees
- Richard Serra Prints at the Nasher Sculpture Center - March 22nd, 2017
- The Legend of Montie Ritchie versus the International Art Thieves - March 4th, 2017
- Ross Bleckner at the Dallas Contemporary - February 19th, 2017
- Bruce Conner’s 'CROSSROADS' in 2017 - January 29th, 2017
- Goodbye to 2016, or, Tripping Over Nostalgia - December 18th, 2016