Giant art commissions by two Houston-based artists have been selected as among the top public arts projects in the U.S. by the Public Art Network Year in Review. Patrick Renner and Dixie Friend Gay created the works cited in the annual survey, which was founded by the national advocacy non-profit Americans For the Arts and its Public Art Network branch. 37 pieces were chosen in all; the jury for the selection is made up of national artists who specialize in public art commissions.
Patrick Renner’s “Funnel Tunnel” installed along Montrose Boulevard in Houston is a 180-foot long painted reclaimed-wood and steel sculpture commissioned by Art League Houston. Dixie Friend Gay’s “North Texas Sunrise” is a 63-foot long mosaic mural (pictured) in the lobby at Love Field Airport in Dallas, commissioned by Love Field as part of its public arts program. Congratulations to both artists.
(photo: Nathan Cox/CultureMap Dallas)
also by Christina Rees
- Surrounded by Sharks in Virtual Reality - June 22nd, 2016
- Reading now: Alain de Botton's "The Course of Love" - June 20th, 2016
- Emily Peacock at Beefhaus, Dallas - June 17th, 2016
- A Charming Rant on Car Headlight Design - June 10th, 2016
- Great New Video and Song by Martin Creed! - June 5th, 2016