Since iconic Houston artist Bert Long died last year, friends and fans have been busy paying tribute. Last month, there was a celebratory fundraiser to help publish a posthumous book on the artist and now, in conjunction with the exhibition Bert: Back and Beyond on view through March 8, Deborah Colton Gallery will be screening the documentary, Bert, on Wednesday, February 26. Written, produced, and directed by Houston-based arts patron, John Guess Jr., the film follows Long’s life as seen through the eyes big-time admirers in the art community.
For those who couldn’t get past the overflowing crowd at the Menil Collection’s Valentine’s Day screening of the documentary will want to arrive early. There will be a 6:30 pm reception; the film starts at 7 pm, followed by a Q&A with Guess, CEO of the Houston Museum of African American Culture.
also by Paula Newton
- Mixed Responses to Call for Artist Trump Protests - January 13th, 2017
- Party! Come Congratulate the Idea Fund Grantees - January 12th, 2017
- Phillip Johnson and "Kitty Porn" - January 10th, 2017
- Houston Curator Receives Warhol Foundation Grant - January 9th, 2017
- Farewell to Austin’s Farewell Books - January 6th, 2017