The Brony Fan Fair is well underway in Austin this weekend, but there’s still time to catch the activities and excitement at the convention of fans of the animated series My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. There are costume contests, displays of artwork inspired by My Little Pony, and a chance to hang out with celebs from the Brony community. (Bronies include all ages and genders, but the term is a portmanteau of “bro” and “pony,” originally used to describe adult male fans.)
Houstonians could enjoy some incredible paintings of other little toys at Richard Patterson’s book signing at the Menil Collection Bookstore Friday evening from 5-7 pm. The Dallas-based YBA artist’s recreations of minotaur and motorcyclist toy figurines may not have the same “friendship is magic” quality, but there is the possibility of a pink wig. The monograph Richard Patterson features texts by Jeremy Strick and Toby Kamps (who also looks quite stunning in a wig) and an interview with the artist by Martin Herbert.
also by Paula Newton
- A Texas Guide to Día De Los Muertos - October 24th, 2016
- Last Weekend to See Big Texas Butter Sculpture - October 21st, 2016
- Houston Architects Name Artist of the Year - October 20th, 2016
- Another Houston Artist Hits the Small Screen - October 19th, 2016
- Artist to Create Sculpture from Guy Clark’s Ashes - October 13th, 2016