Houston’s Rice University has installed its latest public art project, Mark di Suvero’s sculpture “Po-um (Lyric).” University Art Director Molly Hubbard refers to the work as a “mobile”; the six-ton sculpture balances on a pedestal.
Hubbard states that the di Suvero sculpture now completes “a triptych of three great American artists,” which includes the di Suvero’s mobile, the new James Turrell light piece, and the Michael Heizer sculpture, installed in the early 1980s. Of course, there are more than three works in Rice’s public art collection. For the full list of public art, visit their site.
also by Paula Newton
- Last Weekend to See Big Texas Butter Sculpture - October 21st, 2016
- Houston Architects Name Artist of the Year - October 20th, 2016
- Another Houston Artist Hits the Small Screen - October 19th, 2016
- Artist to Create Sculpture from Guy Clark’s Ashes - October 13th, 2016
- Artists as Human Beings on TV - October 11th, 2016