The Houston Arts Alliance has posted the names of the 24 recipients of it’s 2013 individual artist grants on its website. Chosen from among a field of just 79, the 24 winners come in two sizes: winners of $5000 in the emerging artist category are, Caroline “Cary” Reeder, Danielle Fanfair, Jyoti Gupta, Lance Flowers, and Stacey Summers. Winners of $10,000 grants for established artists are Alexander Parsons, Bradford Thomason, Christa M. Forster, Francesca Fuchs, Francine Di, H.J. Bott, Hillerbrand+Magsamen, Jason Woods, Joan Son, Lacy M. Johnson, Mark Nelson, Michael Crowder, Michael Taylor, Richard Carey Ford, Robert Hodge, Robert Pruitt, Sherese Campbell, Tish Stringer, and Zubair Al Awady.
The grant money comes from hotel occupancy tax funds, and is aimed at making Houston a more desirable place to visit by sponsoring public projects by local artists. Just by coincidence, this tends to support a community of working artists, something every city needs.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015