Cecilia Gimenez, the woman whose botched restoration of a small fresco in Spain produced the “Beast Jesus” internet phenomenon, is suing the Sanctuario de Misericordia in Borja for a share in the profits that flocking tourists have brought to the once obscure church, which began charging a 4 euro admission fee. Her lawyers say that her share of the money, if won, will go to muscular atrophy charities. Meanwhile, descendants of Elias Garcia Martinez, the local artist whose fresco Gimenez altered, are threatening another lawsuit seeking compensation for the piece’s destruction.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015