This is the first of four video profiles Glasstire is hosting featuring the finalists from last year’s Austin Eyes Got It!. 2011 Eyes Got It! winner Hollie Brown’s solo show at grayDUCK Gallery opens August 24 from 7-9 p.m. and runs through September 9, 2012.
Eyes Got It! is an open call art competition inspired by American Idol and other arts-based reality TV game shows. The competition was created by Salvador Castillo as an event for the 2010 East Austin Studio Tour and is now preparing for its third year. In contrast to traditional juried calls for entry, a panel of three local arts professionals conduct their review process in front of a public audience and, after 3 rounds of elimination, award one artist a solo exhibition.
At Eyes Got It! 2011, Andrea Nguyen, Dave Culpepper, Becky Joye and Hollie Brown made it to the third and final round. Eyes Got It! sat down with each of the finalists early this year to talk about their work, current and upcoming projects and their experience with the competition.
The Eyes Got It! 2012 competition will take place November 9th, 2012 at the Blue Theater in Austin. The call for entry period is (tentatively) scheduled to run from October 1 – 28th, 2012. For more information visit: http://eyesgotit.wordpress.com/
also by Glasstire
- The Art Lending Library Opens This Weekend in Galveston - November 21st, 2017
- Art League Houston Extends Open Call Deadline - November 20th, 2017
- Marfa Myths Festival Returns in 2018 - November 19th, 2017
- DMA Curator Gavin Delahunty Resigns Over Allegations of "inappropriate behavior" - November 18th, 2017
- Pump Project: The Latest Casualty of Austin's East Side Boom - November 18th, 2017