This Memorial Day, spend a few minutes reading about Jasper Johns’ monumental work Flag (1955):
Perhaps most obviously, Flag serves to question what a painting is, and how it is to be differentiated from the object it represents. Is Flag a painting or a flag, or both? Flag does not conclusively answer that question; instead, like so many of Johns’s creations it establishes a line of inquiry and asserts its significance for the practice and history of art.
Read more here.
also by Brandon Zech
- Andres Serrano at the Station Museum of Contemporary Art, Houston - June 23rd, 2017
- Michael Menchaca at BLUEorange - June 14th, 2017
- Garth Weiser at The Contemporary Austin - June 1st, 2017
- The Art of the Livestream - April 21st, 2017
- Four Killer Zines You Should Check Out - April 10th, 2017