This Memorial Day, spend a few minutes reading about Jasper Johns’ monumental work Flag (1955):
Perhaps most obviously, Flag serves to question what a painting is, and how it is to be differentiated from the object it represents. Is Flag a painting or a flag, or both? Flag does not conclusively answer that question; instead, like so many of Johns’s creations it establishes a line of inquiry and asserts its significance for the practice and history of art.
Read more here.
also by Brandon Zech
- Andrew Martin at Redbud Gallery, Houston - January 13th, 2017
- Capitalist Consumption: the Institute for New Feeling at Ballroom Marfa - December 30th, 2016
- Sophomore Slump: Day for Night in Houston - December 21st, 2016
- Miami Basel vs. Disney World: The Happiest Place on Earth? - December 10th, 2016
- The Problems and Rewards of Houston's Silos - November 4th, 2016