This Memorial Day, spend a few minutes reading about Jasper Johns’ monumental work Flag (1955):
Perhaps most obviously, Flag serves to question what a painting is, and how it is to be differentiated from the object it represents. Is Flag a painting or a flag, or both? Flag does not conclusively answer that question; instead, like so many of Johns’s creations it establishes a line of inquiry and asserts its significance for the practice and history of art.
Read more here.
also by Brandon Zech
- Sean Starwars: Woodcut Funhouse - August 9th, 2017
- 'Daydreams and Other Monsters' at UTSA - August 4th, 2017
- Why this Year's Galveston Artist Residency Exhibition is Different - July 19th, 2017
- Andres Serrano at the Station Museum of Contemporary Art, Houston - June 23rd, 2017
- Michael Menchaca at BLUEorange - June 14th, 2017