This Memorial Day, spend a few minutes reading about Jasper Johns’ monumental work Flag (1955):
Perhaps most obviously, Flag serves to question what a painting is, and how it is to be differentiated from the object it represents. Is Flag a painting or a flag, or both? Flag does not conclusively answer that question; instead, like so many of Johns’s creations it establishes a line of inquiry and asserts its significance for the practice and history of art.
Read more here.
also by Brandon Zech
- The Art of the Livestream - April 21st, 2017
- Four Killer Zines You Should Check Out - April 10th, 2017
- Louise Hopkins Underwood, 1919-2017 - March 8th, 2017
- The Art World Goes a Day Without Women - March 8th, 2017
- Not Just Naked People: Experimental Action Performance Art Festival in Houston - February 27th, 2017