Happy Thanksgiving! On the road this holiday? Here are some shows for the whole family, all over Texas! Go drag your relatives to see some art.
1. Miró: The Experience of Seeing
McNay Art Museum (San Antonio)
September 30 – January 10, 2016
An exhibition featuring the later works of Joan Mirό. Drawn entirely from the collection of the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía in Madrid, Spain, the exhibition features more than 50 paintings, drawings, and sculptures.
2. Gustave Caillebotte: The Painter’s Eye
Kimbell Art Museum (Fort Worth)
November 8 – February 14, 2016
An exhibition of works by Impressionist Gustave Caillebotte. The exhibition was co-organized with the National Gallery of Art, Washington.
3. Flatbed Press 25th anniversary Homecoming
Flatbed Galleries (Austin)
October 23 – December 14
Artists include: Kristen Bartel, Cordelia Blanchard, Teresa Bond, Byron Brauchli, Noah Breuer, Katherine Brimberry, Robert Brown, Adrienne Butler, Heather Butler, Lauren Cardenas, Belinda Casey, Veronica Ceci, Lee Chesney, Margaret Craig, Margie Crisp, Jeffrey Dell, Tom Drucker, Catherine Dudley, Emily Eaton, Lilian Garcia-Roig, Linda Genet, Alex Giffen, Terri Goodhue, Teresa Gomez-Martorell, Annalise Gratovich, Nancy Gray, Carol Hayman, Tim High, Hallie Rae Ward, Whitney Hill, Alfonso Huerta Garcia, Laura Jennings, Brian Johnson, Amelia Jones, Gabel Karsten, Heidi Landau, Gerry Manson, Pat Masterson, Tracy Mayrello, Deborah McLouth, Joshua Orsburn, Heather Parrish, Elvia Perrin, Serena Perrone, Carolyn Porter, Pecos Pryor, Christopher Reno, Clifton Riley, Thomas Rogers, Stan Scott, Margie Simpson, Mark L. Smith, Gingi Statman, James Turner, Tina Weitz, Cassie White, Cynthia Young.
4. Field of Light
November 24 – February 21, 2016
Discovery Green (Houston)
Field of Light is back! The installation by British artist Bruce Munro was such a hit last year that is is returning to Discovery Green this winter. “Field of Light comprises 4,550 radiant, frosted glass spheres atop slender stems connected by illuminated fiber optic. The spheres and stems wait quietly until dusk and then bloom with gentle rhythms of colored light as darkness falls over the park.”
5. Connecting with Nature: Selections from the Permanent Collection
International Museum of Art and Science (McAllen)
October 8 – February 14, 2016
An exhibition surveying works from the museum’s permanent collection.
also by Glasstire
- Today, January 21: a Concert in Houston & Butt Prints in San Antonio - January 21st, 2017
- Trump Plans to (quickly) Kill the National Endowment for the Arts (and of course most other cultural programs) - January 19th, 2017
- Top Five: January 19, 2017 - January 19th, 2017
- A Whopper of an Artwork for Your Inauguration Day - January 18th, 2017
- FotoFest Announces 2018 Biennial Theme & More - January 16th, 2017