For the 9th year in a row, Houston’s Fresh Arts is organizing the Winter Holiday Art Market (WHAM), which will take place this weekend. WHAM offers a wide variety of arts and crafts—including paintings, sculpture, and photography, as well as jewelry, clothing and accessories. About 60 artists will be crammed into the second floor of Winter Street Studios, sharing space with DJs and free snacks and drinks. Fresh Arts describes the event as, “one part curated festival, one part holiday party, and all kinds of fun.”
WHAM is not your typical Christmas craft fair; the list of participating artists is pretty interesting and always include a few weirdo vendors (past participants have included Gonzo247 and Bill’s Junk). The preview party on Friday night (6-10pm) costs $10 (free to Fresh Arts members), but it’s sure to be louder, more festive, and you get first dibs on the art. The rest of the weekend is free (Saturday, 11am-8pm and Sunday 11am-4pm).
Whether the holiday season makes you anxious and depressed or filled with love and joy (or all of the above), supporting local artists brings it all home!
also by Paula Newton
- Oregon May Have Outdone Texas’ CowParade - September 22nd, 2017
- MFAH: New Position, New Curator - September 21st, 2017
- Bastrop Art Center Near Completion - September 20th, 2017
- Neo-Nazi Posters Found Plastered Around UH Campus - September 19th, 2017
- Arts Orgs Impacted by Harvey Must Attend Meeting to Apply for FEMA - September 18th, 2017