Houston will soon have a new contemporary art gallery on Waugh Drive in Montrose called the Mariago Collective. While the use of the word “collective” does not seem to imply any sort of artist-run space, the Mariago says they have been very busy creating a schedule of guest curators for the 2014 season. It will house a commercial gallery and experimental art spaces to create “both laboratory and showroom.”
Although the Mariago is not scheduled to officially open until the spring, there will be a “soft opening” of its first exhibition on February 15. Simple Ingredients will be a show on the theme of domesticity featuring artists The Art Guys, KC Collins, Jennifer Ling Datchuk, Luis Jimenez, Paul Kittelson, Kyle Olson and Erin Stafford.
also by Paula Newton
- The People Have Spoken: No More Renoir! - October 6th, 2015
- David Adickes Sign Site of Documented Theft - October 5th, 2015
- It’s National Spinning and Weaving Week! - October 2nd, 2015
- A Public Memorial and Tribute to Jesús Moroles - October 1st, 2015
- First it was Bernie Sanders, Now it’s Art League Houston! - September 30th, 2015