Houston will soon have a new contemporary art gallery on Waugh Drive in Montrose called the Mariago Collective. While the use of the word “collective” does not seem to imply any sort of artist-run space, the Mariago says they have been very busy creating a schedule of guest curators for the 2014 season. It will house a commercial gallery and experimental art spaces to create “both laboratory and showroom.”
Although the Mariago is not scheduled to officially open until the spring, there will be a “soft opening” of its first exhibition on February 15. Simple Ingredients will be a show on the theme of domesticity featuring artists The Art Guys, KC Collins, Jennifer Ling Datchuk, Luis Jimenez, Paul Kittelson, Kyle Olson and Erin Stafford.
also by Paula Newton
- Trump Tax Laws Not Good for Museums - October 16th, 2017
- Former MFAH Core Fellow Dies Suddenly - October 13th, 2017
- Amid Immigration Debates, Borderland Art Reigns - October 12th, 2017
- Houston Quilts Have Enemies! - October 11th, 2017
- Holograms: Museum Creates a Place for Conversation with the Past and Future - October 10th, 2017