Houston will soon have a new contemporary art gallery on Waugh Drive in Montrose called the Mariago Collective. While the use of the word “collective” does not seem to imply any sort of artist-run space, the Mariago says they have been very busy creating a schedule of guest curators for the 2014 season. It will house a commercial gallery and experimental art spaces to create “both laboratory and showroom.”
Although the Mariago is not scheduled to officially open until the spring, there will be a “soft opening” of its first exhibition on February 15. Simple Ingredients will be a show on the theme of domesticity featuring artists The Art Guys, KC Collins, Jennifer Ling Datchuk, Luis Jimenez, Paul Kittelson, Kyle Olson and Erin Stafford.
also by Paula Newton
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017
- Find the Art Historical References in “Alien: Covenant” - August 15th, 2017
- UPDATE: Doggy Art a Great Success! - August 14th, 2017