Houston will soon have a new contemporary art gallery on Waugh Drive in Montrose called the Mariago Collective. While the use of the word “collective” does not seem to imply any sort of artist-run space, the Mariago says they have been very busy creating a schedule of guest curators for the 2014 season. It will house a commercial gallery and experimental art spaces to create “both laboratory and showroom.”
Although the Mariago is not scheduled to officially open until the spring, there will be a “soft opening” of its first exhibition on February 15. Simple Ingredients will be a show on the theme of domesticity featuring artists The Art Guys, KC Collins, Jennifer Ling Datchuk, Luis Jimenez, Paul Kittelson, Kyle Olson and Erin Stafford.
also by Paula Newton
- How to Fight Terrorism? Invest in the Arts - November 27th, 2015
- Have a Purrrrfect Thanksgiving! - November 26th, 2015
- Coming Soon! Studio Pods for Houston Artists - November 25th, 2015
- Who Got the 2015 Houston Artadia Awards? - November 24th, 2015
- JFK: The Fascination Continues with Opera, Performance Art, James Franco, and Money - November 23rd, 2015