If there ever was a dubious listing for art on eBay, this is it: new seller wart1963ray, with no feedback record, and no other items for sale, is offering a hitherto unknown painting “attributed to Texas artist Forrest Besss”, starting bid $2500. But then, everything about the hermetic life, work and career of the famously isolated texas bait camp proprietor turned blue-chip modern artist is improbable, and with the opening of “Forrest Bess: Seeing Things Invisible” approaching at the Menil, could the fantastic prices commanded by the artist’s small, technically unpretentious works be drawing long-sequestered oddities from Houston closets?
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015