Conservative commentator Glenn Beck has made another of his periodic stabs at art criticism, grabbing a little media attention (like this, sigh) for dunking a photograph of President Obama in a yellow fluid he called “pee-pee.” He also shrugs at a tiny reproduction of a Pollack, but without the crazed self-righteousness that sometimes make tirades like this entertaining.
Meanwhile, Simon Doonan of Slate.com lists eight reasons “Why the Artworld is so Loathesome,” citing the usuals: trendy, frivolously transgressive, whoring out to fashion, skill-less, craft-less (this is a separate heading?), short attention span, too much money and too much cool, but admits that “while we wait for the art world to change direction and seek out a more meaningful place in our lives, there are no shortage of chuckles to be had. The landscape of art has never been more vast or intriguingly bonkers.”
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015