There have been too many tragic deaths this year and when Robert Leo Hulseman died last week, it was almost overlooked by the news media. Hulseman was the inventor of the iconic red Solo cup, found at every picnic, kegger, and high school football game fence.
He died at the age of 84 at his Illinois home of health complications following a series of strokes, reports USA Today.
Hulseman developed the cup sometime in the 1970s and, later, he and a friend came up with the traveler coffee cup lid. According to NPR, the Museum of Modern Art added the lid to its permanent design collection.
To view Solo cup art, go here. Or watch Toby Keith’s music video “Red Solo Cup” below:
also by Paula Newton
- Social Practice Artist Corrina Mehiel Found Stabbed to Death in DC - March 24th, 2017
- Trump’s “Border Wall” Shines Spotlight on EP Women’s Filmmaker Collective - March 23rd, 2017
- Another Artist Town Hall Meeting in Houston: Time to Get Political - March 22nd, 2017
- Trisha Brown (1936-2017) - March 21st, 2017
- Artist Appropriates Trump Slogan for “Painfully Powerful Statement” - March 17th, 2017