Carolyn Van Houten, a staff photojournalist with the The San Antonio Express-News “has been named Newspaper Photographer of the Year in the Pictures of the Year International contest” (via NY Times). She’s 25 and graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill a year ago.
Regional newspaper photographers can enter the contest in two divisions. The top winners “are most often entrants who travel far from their homes to cover dramatic events. Those doing strong work in their own communities, unless they live in a war zone, are more likely to be passed by.” This makes Van Houton’s win unusual.
For a slideshow of winning photographs, a list of other division winners and more on this, please go here.
also by Glasstire
- New Art Space Opens in Dallas This Weekend - September 29th, 2016
- The Top Five Things to See in Houston - September 29th, 2016
- Top Five: September 29, 2016 - September 29th, 2016
- RIP Hunting Art Prize - September 27th, 2016
- Pierre Huyghe Wins the Second Annual $100,000 Nasher Prize - September 26th, 2016