Patrick Renner’s Funnel Tunnel is coming down after a longer than expected temporary stay on the median of Montrose Blvd. across from Art League Houston, which has scheduled a celebratory break-down event on Sunday, Feb. 8 from 10am-2pm. Participating destructors are welcome to keep a piece of wood from the sculpture as a souvenir.
The work will take new form in New Orleans’ Poydras Corridor this summer as part of a project to bring attention to the visual arts and the artists of post-Katrina New Orleans. Local artists will assist and install the artwork on a Poydras Street median.
The Art League commissioned the Funnel Tunnel in 2013 as the first Esplanade Project, which aims to place public art pieces on the medians of Montrose.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015