Gigantic foam sculptures of Houston art personalities The Art Guys have surprised drivers on North Shepherd’s strip of used car lots for a decade, as they slowly cracked, faded and were bizarrely once used for archery practice.
Yesterday, the new owners of the lot set about renovation, hiring laborers to repaint and patch the big guys, without knowing the origin of the piece or who it represents.
The guys’ original conservtive suits have been updated and colorized: Jack’s been given a spiffy new red jacket and a dark handlebar moustache, like a 70’s lounge singer!
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015