Recently, the website PolicyMic published a list of “15 Cities for Creative 20-Somethings That Aren’t New York or Los Angeles” and Abby Koenig took to her Houston Press blog to take offense at Houston’s absence from the list. Weighing the pros and cons of the art scene in her adopted city, Koening concludes that the problem is basically “an issue of branding.” (She also points out some obvious flaws in the list; the only Texas town to make the cut is Austin, “well known as a place to live easy and cheaply.” Koenig replies that the description “makes me wonder if Goldberg wrote this list ten years ago.”)
The same day that Koening posted her thoughts on this list, Business Insider released another list: “The 10 Most Boring Cities In America.” Houston and Austin were both spared, but four Texas cities made the top ten. FOUR. Lubbock is ranked number one! (“We guess if you’re an older college student who isn’t into art, who’s living on fast food and cheap drinks, Lubbock might be for you.”) Also on the list: Irving (#4), Plano (#6), and Laredo (#10).
also by Paula Newton
- Memorial Weekend: Oragami, Peace, and Granted Wishes! - May 27th, 2016
- More Projected Art! This Time in Dallas - May 26th, 2016
- New Menil PR Director: Beyoncé - May 25th, 2016
- Austin: The People Speak! - May 24th, 2016
- Aurora/Menil BYOB Rescheduled Date (Maybe) - May 23rd, 2016