There are actually a few people who don’t care who wins the Super Bowl XLVIII, but maybe they will tune in just to find out the outcome of the wager between the Seattle Art Museum (SAM) and the Denver Art Museum (DAM). Earlier this week, the two museums announced that they were putting artwork loans on the line in displays of hometown pride. If the Seahawks win, DAM will send a Remington bronze cowboy statue to Seattle for three months; if the Broncos win, SAM will send a six-paneled Japanese painted screen that depicts an eagle on a seashore to Denver.
SAM’s original offer of a ceremonial Nuxalk raven mask was withdrawn a few days ago because of objections from the Nuxalk Nation band at Bella Coola, British Columbia, who apparently think some things are more sacred than the Super Bowl.
also by Paula Newton
- A Texas Guide to Día De Los Muertos - October 24th, 2016
- Last Weekend to See Big Texas Butter Sculpture - October 21st, 2016
- Houston Architects Name Artist of the Year - October 20th, 2016
- Another Houston Artist Hits the Small Screen - October 19th, 2016
- Artist to Create Sculpture from Guy Clark’s Ashes - October 13th, 2016