There are actually a few people who don’t care who wins the Super Bowl XLVIII, but maybe they will tune in just to find out the outcome of the wager between the Seattle Art Museum (SAM) and the Denver Art Museum (DAM). Earlier this week, the two museums announced that they were putting artwork loans on the line in displays of hometown pride. If the Seahawks win, DAM will send a Remington bronze cowboy statue to Seattle for three months; if the Broncos win, SAM will send a six-paneled Japanese painted screen that depicts an eagle on a seashore to Denver.
SAM’s original offer of a ceremonial Nuxalk raven mask was withdrawn a few days ago because of objections from the Nuxalk Nation band at Bella Coola, British Columbia, who apparently think some things are more sacred than the Super Bowl.
also by Paula Newton
- Houston Joins the Anti-Confederate Monument Movement - August 18th, 2017
- Artists: It’s Time to Run for Office! - August 17th, 2017
- Film Nerds: a Happy Hour Just for You! - August 16th, 2017
- Find the Art Historical References in “Alien: Covenant” - August 15th, 2017
- UPDATE: Doggy Art a Great Success! - August 14th, 2017