The ARTnews Top 200 Collectors issue, which came out today, features Jeanne and Michael L. (Mickey) Klein, who are among the nation’s foremost collectors and supporters of contemporary art. In addition to collecting and donating major works of art, one or both have served on the boards of many Texas arts organizations (as well as the Whitney and the Hirshhorn).
The Kleins discuss how they began collecting, having their own Turrell Skyspace in the middle of their Austin home and some new art commissions for their Santa Fe home, including works by Giuseppe Penone, Kate Shepherd and Jason Middlebrook.
Lea Weingarten, of Weingarten Art Group, adds: “What this article does not say is that for Jeanne and Mickey, family, friends, quality education for all, and integrity of character are paramount. The world is a better place with them in it.” They have been deeply involved with numerous educational foundations, and were recently honored as Austin’s philanthropists of the year.
Other Texas collectors cited in the article are Laura and John Arnold (Houston), Cindy and Howard Rachofsky (Dallas), Deedie and Rusty Rose (Dallas), Fayez Sarofim (Houston), Louisa Stude Sarofim (Houston), and Gayle and Paul Stoffel (Dallas).
also by Paula Newton
- Oregon May Have Outdone Texas’ CowParade - September 22nd, 2017
- New Curator of Asian Art at MFAH - September 21st, 2017
- Bastrop Art Center Near Completion - September 20th, 2017
- Neo-Nazi Posters Found Plastered Around UH Campus - September 19th, 2017
- Arts Orgs Impacted by Harvey Must Attend Meeting to Apply for FEMA - September 18th, 2017