On Saturday, May 18 is the American Association of Museum Directors Art Museum Day. Many AAMD member organizations are offering free (or reduced) admission.
For money-saving convenience, here is a list of Texas museums offering free admission, in highest-to-lowest order of their regular (non-member adult) general admission fees:
McNay Art Museum, San Antonio
Kimbell Art Museum, Fort Worth
The Menil Collection, Houston
Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Forth Worth
Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, Houston
Dallas Museum of Art, Dallas (Free since this January. Yea!)
El Paso Museum of Art, El Paso
UPDATE: We are happy to make the following correction. Despite what were we told on the phone, the McNay is indeed participating in Art Museum Day. Yea!
Special confusion category:
McNay Art Museum, San Antonio. AAMD lists the MacNay as a participant, but the museum says they will not be free; they will be charging their regular $15 (which beats out the MFAH as the highest admission fee slot on the list).
1. Many of these museums, even some of the always-free ones, have “special exhibitions,” to which the free admission does not apply. The MFAH’s Picasso Black and White is still $20 extra. Call ahead to each museum to get details.
2. Don’t forget to show the always-free museums your love! If you don’t have time Saturday, stop by on Sunday.
also by Paula Newton
- Two Texans Make ArtPrize Shortlist! - September 27th, 2016
- Idea Fund Round 9: Deadline, Info, and Jurors - September 26th, 2016
- Artists and Collectors to Show off their Weird Houston Homes - September 23rd, 2016
- It May Be Too Late, but this Group is Set to Save East Austin Art - September 22nd, 2016
- Check out Islamic Art in Houston! - September 20th, 2016