Houston arts patron Toni Beauchamp died March 9 from ovarian cancer. A steadfast presence on the Houston art scene for decades, Toni served as the assistant director at Blaffer Gallery in the 1970s and early 80s; and on the boards of DiverseWorks, the CAMH, and the magazine Art Lies, among other organizations. She was also an early proponent of the now-abundant efforts to beautify Houston, working on the renovation of Market Square Park, Moody Park, and Buffalo Bayou. More recently she and her husband Jeff supported Marfa organizations Chinati and Ballroom Marfa. A book of essays about Marfa’s cultural scene that she organized is to be published posthumously. Her gentle, tireless support of visual and literary art in Texas will be missed. Memorial events are being planned for Houston and Marfa in the coming months.
also by Rainey Knudson
- A Conversation With Dave Hickey - September 11th, 2016
- What Statement is the MFAH Making with “Statements”? - September 9th, 2016
- Exit Interview: Claudia Schmuckli - August 30th, 2016
- Meow Wolf: Dawn Of A New Art World - August 14th, 2016
- Immersion Art Part 1: Yayoi Kusama at MFAH - August 5th, 2016