Rice University has taken concrete steps towards building a new, $30 million art building on its Houston campus. Architect Michael Maltzan of Los Angeles is under contract for a pre-design of the new facility, which, according to Visual and Dramatic Arts Department Chair John Sparagana will likely bring the Rice University Art Gallery, the department’s studios and classrooms, a cinema, and a black box theater under one roof, forming a new anchor for the already busy entrance #8 off University Drive, on or near the site of the 40 year-old “temporary” buildings that currently house the Rice Media Center. Said Sparagana,”It all clicked into pace last Wednesday; it’s exciting to have an architect we want to work with,” adding that the new building might help leverage support for the launch of a Rice University MFA program.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015