Sonya Clark, whose exhibition opens TONIGHT at the Southwest School of Art in San Antonio, has just received a $50,000 grant from United States Artists, a national grant and advocacy organization that invests in American artists and their work. The D.C. native is currently Chair of the Craft/Material Studies Department of Virginia Commonwealth University; her work examines African-American identity through sculptures, photos, and mixed media objects, often made from and entwined with her own hair, and will be on view through February 12.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015