Sonya Clark, whose exhibition opens TONIGHT at the Southwest School of Art in San Antonio, has just received a $50,000 grant from United States Artists, a national grant and advocacy organization that invests in American artists and their work. The D.C. native is currently Chair of the Craft/Material Studies Department of Virginia Commonwealth University; her work examines African-American identity through sculptures, photos, and mixed media objects, often made from and entwined with her own hair, and will be on view through February 12.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015