Despite Galveston’s laid-back, storm-pummelled, crime-ridden reputation, fearless Houston artists Ray Phillips and David Hardaker have ambitious plans for their new Avis Frank Gallery at 215 23rd Street in the Strand Historic District, just across the street from David Adickes’ cement Trumpet. Their grand opening, on July 16, is Spectrum, a group show curated by Houston artist Lisa Qualls, featuring 18 Texas artists using color. In addition to exhibitions, the new venue will be an art movie house and host visiting artists temporary projects.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015