Despite Galveston’s laid-back, storm-pummelled, crime-ridden reputation, fearless Houston artists Ray Phillips and David Hardaker have ambitious plans for their new Avis Frank Gallery at 215 23rd Street in the Strand Historic District, just across the street from David Adickes’ cement Trumpet. Their grand opening, on July 16, is Spectrum, a group show curated by Houston artist Lisa Qualls, featuring 18 Texas artists using color. In addition to exhibitions, the new venue will be an art movie house and host visiting artists temporary projects.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015