On Wednesday, May 11, Houston’s Glassell School is hosting a lecture by curator João Ribas titled The Belated Owl: Curating and the Contemporary. Ribas’ talk focuses on self-referentiality in academic curating, and asks “to what historical or epistemic criteria can the curatorial care of the present be indexed to?” and “yet what are the conditions of curating contemporary art — the temporality it inhabits and its role in the ongoing debate on how it is being symbolized and historicized?” Find out what he means (and scold him for his atrocious jargon) at 7pm in the school’s Freed Auditorium, 5101 Montrose Blvd. Free!
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015