Italian authorities dropped the case against Getty Museum curator Marion True on because the statute of limitations had run out, leaving a juicy five-year long drama that hinted at backroom transactions and raided antiquities unresolved. Was there some shady dealing going on, or was it just a brilliant piece of cultural arm-twisting, in which the Italians had hundreds of questionable works returned to their control from American museums afraid of similar litigation? We’ll never know.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015