Italian authorities dropped the case against Getty Museum curator Marion True on because the statute of limitations had run out, leaving a juicy five-year long drama that hinted at backroom transactions and raided antiquities unresolved. Was there some shady dealing going on, or was it just a brilliant piece of cultural arm-twisting, in which the Italians had hundreds of questionable works returned to their control from American museums afraid of similar litigation? We’ll never know.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015