UTD prof and former DMA director Rick Brettell has received a "Commandeur" certificate from the French Ordre des Arts et des Lettres for his work on FRAME, the French Regional & American Museum Exchange, headquartered in Paris and at UT Dallas. The Ordre des Arts et des Lettres is an Order of France, established in 1957 by the Minister of Culture, and confirmed as part of the Ordre national du Mérite (National Order of Merit) by President Charles de Gaulle in 1963. Its purpose is to recognize significant contributions to the arts, literature, or the propagation of these fields. “I well remember when my chevalier [the lower grade of Brettell’s current honor] arrived in the mail C.O.D. from France,” Brettell said. “But the medal was so beautiful and the honor so great that I let bygones be bygones."
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015