San Antonio arts patron Catherine Halff Edson died Friday at 71. Daughter of radio station owner Hugh A.L. Halff, Edson “methodically built one of the finest private collections of Japanese art in America,” said John Johnston, curator of Asian art at the San Antonio Museum of Art. A part of the Catherine and Thomas Edson Collection can be seen at SAMA. Another portion, “Edo Chic/Meiji Technique: The Art of Shibata Zeshin featuring the Edson Collection,” is on exhibit at the Suiboku Museum in Toyama, Japan until Aug. 22.
also by Bill Davenport
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015
- Two Cents for Houston's New Cultural Plan - April 25th, 2015
- New Art Lands in the Woodlands - April 24th, 2015
- Bob Wade Revamps First Public Sculpture - in Waco! - April 19th, 2015