Advocatcy org Americans for the Arts has published its 2010 Public Art in Review, which annually features noteworthy public art projects from across the US and Canada. In this year’s list, chosen by Helen Lessick, formerly director of the Houston Arts Alliance, and artist Fred Wilson, Texas projects abound: Bait Box by Buster Graybill and Giant Mushroom Forest by Bill Davenport, both comissioned by the Austin art in Public Places program; In Dallas, Brad & Diana Goldberg’s Fair Park Station for DART and Brad Oldham & Brandon Oldenburg’s Traveling Man; In Houston, Beads at Bush Intercontinental Airport by Jim Hirschfield & Sonya Ishii, Gesture Politics by Sean Healy; and Open Channel Flow by Matthew Geller made the list. The nearby Jamail Skatepark, although fabulously sculptural, did not.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015