Today begins the start of a new catagory on Melba Toast called Mirror Mirror. Named
in honor of its first posting and dedicated to all the multitasking,
multitalented, and multimedia artists who deserve a little shout out for their various incarnations.
First up Austin native and much loved musician Mangham Parker (aka Parker Noon) of The Low Lows. Besides playing guitar and emanating haunting vocals he debuted his latest creative endeavor this past week M*I*R*R*O*R **W*O*R*L*D / Museum of Curiosities.
origin, as well as various obscure & out-of-print music the site is a beautifully curated nostalgic and mesmerizing look back at Fado, Rembetika, pre-war American gospel & country, brass band
dirges, Romanian gypsy ballads and more. Be prepared to spent time looking and listening.
scenes, ruined structures, breasts, feral animals, gargoyles, Venice,
sphinxes & pyramids, bizarre insects, Moroccan prostitutes,
shipwrecks, dandies, rajahs & sultans, spirit photography, geishas,
convicts, Boo Radley types & unnatural disasters.” And with the promise of added photos and music on a weekly basis you’ll be left
with the desire to revisit again and again to witness the site’s
also by Margaret Meehan
- People in Your Neighborhood: Karen Weiner - May 10th, 2013
- Similar But Different #30: Art As Digestion - March 14th, 2013
- Yayoi Kusama: Princess of the Polka Dots - July 19th, 2012
- Seventeen Hundred Seeds: Cultivating Community As Art - June 2nd, 2012
- Similar but Different #29: The Rainbow Connection - May 23rd, 2012