City Councilman Michael Sullivan and Houston Mayoral candidate Roy Morales, with the help of Channel 13 news, are trying to use art to stir up trouble for City Controller and Houston Mayoral Candidate Annise Parker. There’s no nudity or religion to decry, so muck-rakers are focusing on location: a mural depicting Houston’s diversity that is city property is temporarily installed on a building Parker controls near the highly trafficked intersection of Westheimer and Montrose, a prime spot for viewing. The mural’s funders, the non-profit Leadership Houston, are happy with the site, calling it a "gift to the city" but Parkers political opponents see an IED: "You need to know where the landmines are," Sullivan said, "and you need to stay away from them."
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015