The Kimbell has acquired one of the four known easel paintings by Renaissance master Michelangelo, and it's full of gnarly demons to boot! Although disputed by scholars, The Torment of St. Anthony is definitely from the workshop of Ghirlandaio, Mike's old school. If authentic, it would have been painted in 1487–88, when the artist was 12 or 13 years old. Costing a rumored $6 million and freshly restored, it will appear in Fort Worth in August. The Star-Telegram story by Gaile Robinson has all the details.
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015