William Camfield, professor emeritus of art history at Rice University and Josef Helfenstein, curator of the Menil’s current Max Ernst in the Garden of Nymph Ancolie, converse, confer and confabulate at the Menil on Tuesday, January 13 in a free public program in conjunction with the Menil exhibition . 7 p.m. Immediately following, Mellon conservator Ellen Hanspach will lead a gallery discussion of Ernst’s pioneering use of the technique he called frottage (the drawing technique, not the sex act, although the Ernst mural hung for years in a nightclub).
also by Bill Davenport
- Lego My Art! - January 30th, 2016
- Archive: Painting on My Planet/The Top Ten Painters in Houston - January 1st, 2016
- Archive: Tire Iron 0: Cropduster: Hills Snyder/Chris Sauter - December 28th, 2015
- DMA Crane Flip Video - April 26th, 2015
- Helmreich New Dean of Fine Arts at TCU - April 25th, 2015