For whatever it's worth, lots of Texans made the list of ARTnews' top collectors: Fort Worth's Alice Walton got a nod for her American art collection; Austin's Jeanne and Michael Klein for their contemporary art; Gayle and Paul Stoffel, in Dallas, also for contemporary art (interestingly, not the first names that jump to mind in that city for what they're collecting — unlike Marguerite Hoffman and Cindy and Howard Rachofsky, who also made the list); Houston's Fayez Sarofim and Louisa Stude Sarofim both were incuded, the former for his ecclectic collection including Coptic and Old Masters stuff, and the latter for late Modern and contemporary; and Fort Worth's Anne and John Marion, for their 17th and 18th century European art as well as their 20th century stuff.
also by Rainey Knudson
- This and That: Breaking Bread - November 23rd, 2017
- The Internet Publisher’s Lament - November 6th, 2017
- Art Dirt 11: David McGee - October 29th, 2017
- Jeffrey Dell at Art Palace - October 15th, 2017
- The Devil’s Own Day in Houston: Letter from the Publisher - August 29th, 2017