For whatever it's worth, lots of Texans made the list of ARTnews' top collectors: Fort Worth's Alice Walton got a nod for her American art collection; Austin's Jeanne and Michael Klein for their contemporary art; Gayle and Paul Stoffel, in Dallas, also for contemporary art (interestingly, not the first names that jump to mind in that city for what they're collecting — unlike Marguerite Hoffman and Cindy and Howard Rachofsky, who also made the list); Houston's Fayez Sarofim and Louisa Stude Sarofim both were incuded, the former for his ecclectic collection including Coptic and Old Masters stuff, and the latter for late Modern and contemporary; and Fort Worth's Anne and John Marion, for their 17th and 18th century European art as well as their 20th century stuff.
also by Rainey Knudson
- Catching up with Okay Mountain - February 4th, 2011
- Two Great Shows, Part 1: Dan H. Phillips at Webb Gallery - December 16th, 2010
- Peter Marzio, head of MFAH, dies at 67 - December 10th, 2010
- Pamela Z TONIGHT in Houston! - December 4th, 2010
- Arthouse TX Prize Finalists Announced - November 20th, 2010