Yesterday, artnet News published an article entitled “28 Ways to Change the Art World For the Better,” and #5 on the suggestions list was from Curator Dean Dedarko of the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston:
MAKE MUSEUMS FREE! In Houston, the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, The Menil Collection, the Blaffer Museum of Art, Project Row Houses, and Diverseworks are among the many cultural institutions presenting world-class exhibitions that one can visit without paying admission. This has been the case for generations, with the result that our local communities take pride and ownership of culture in a way I’ve not experienced in any other city. We are “their museums”! With audiences who are incredibly diverse in terms of age, ethnicity, economic ability, and museum-going experience, we’re all the richer for it!
Yea for Houston and its arts community! Realize that you’re special! Now, go out and take advantage of its free admission! Go see some art!
also by Paula Newton
- West Texas Landmarks Vandalized! - February 24th, 2017
- Rice U’s Moody Center is Almost Reality! - February 23rd, 2017
- WH Plans to Eliminate NEA and NEH as Examples of “Wastes of Taxpayer Money” - February 22nd, 2017
- S.A. Artist Wins 10K Craft Council Award - February 21st, 2017
- Happy (Not My) President’s Day! - February 20th, 2017