It seems that there was a bit of media intervention during the first and second Presidential debates. A number of viewers reported that, when they paused their televisions, they saw advertising banners for fictional candidates from movies. The online chatter settled on a TiVo hacker as the likely culprit.
“Re-Elect President Muffley—He’ll Keep the Fighting out of the War Room” refers to the President from the film Dr. Strangelove. “Tracy Flick for President: Sign up for Tomorrow Today!” refers to the character in Election. The Hunger Games is represented with “Re-Elect President Snow—He Volunteers as Tribute.” And, of course, Idiocracy gets “Camacho for President—BRAWNDO—He Knows What Plants Crave! ELECTROLYTES!”
also by Paula Newton
- Texas Curator Snagged by Oklahoma - October 23rd, 2017
- Post-Harvey Update: Rockport’s Birds and Rockport's Art - October 22nd, 2017
- Too Many Performance Art Choices in Austin - October 20th, 2017
- UT’s Ransom Center Has a New Art Curator - October 19th, 2017
- Dancers do Degas - October 18th, 2017