It seems that there was a bit of media intervention during the first and second Presidential debates. A number of viewers reported that, when they paused their televisions, they saw advertising banners for fictional candidates from movies. The online chatter settled on a TiVo hacker as the likely culprit.
“Re-Elect President Muffley—He’ll Keep the Fighting out of the War Room” refers to the President from the film Dr. Strangelove. “Tracy Flick for President: Sign up for Tomorrow Today!” refers to the character in Election. The Hunger Games is represented with “Re-Elect President Snow—He Volunteers as Tribute.” And, of course, Idiocracy gets “Camacho for President—BRAWNDO—He Knows What Plants Crave! ELECTROLYTES!”
also by Paula Newton
- Dallas Artist is Now a TV Star - May 26th, 2017
- N.O.’s Prospect 4 Announces Artists, Including Texans - May 25th, 2017
- Trump’s Proposed Budget to Kill National Endowments for the Arts and Humanities - May 24th, 2017
- Austin Art: People Have the Power - May 23rd, 2017
- Performance Artist Solange Does the Guggenheim - May 22nd, 2017