Just announced: The founder of the Houston Fine Art Fair, Rick Friedman, has sold his stake in the fair and in fact all of his art fair holdings–under the umbrella of Hampton Expo Group–to Urban Expositions, which is an event promoter/management company based in Georgia. Friedman’s Hampton Expo Group also operates art fairs in Aspen, the Hamptons and Palm Springs, and Urban Expositions’ purchase of it is that company’s first foray into art fairs. Up until now Urban Expositions has run fairs for other industries, “from aviation to gaming and food service,” according to the Houston Chronicle.
The annual Houston Fine Art Fair, which which took place last weekend, has been shrinking of late. Houston art insiders have speculated that it should fold in with the city’s other major art fair, the Texas Contemporary Art Fair. Nonetheless, Urban Expositions claims that it’s ready to expand into the national art market, and that next year’s Houston Fine Art Fair is already slated for September 2016.
also by Glasstire
- Cruz Ortiz Selected to Create Art for Clinton Campaign - October 24th, 2016
- Let Rap Genius Walk You Through Glasstire's First Ever Review - October 24th, 2016
- 15 Years: A Visual History of Glasstire, 2001-2016 - October 23rd, 2016
- Celebrities Want to Make Art! - October 22nd, 2016
- Welcome to our 15th Anniversary Celebration Week! - October 22nd, 2016