Sadness all around. Tracy Hicks, beloved Texas artist who was Dallas-based until a few years ago, died of a heart attack on Friday. He was an active and vocal member of the Texas art scene (even from his mountain home in North Carolina) up until the very end.
Here is a lovely obituary on Hicks, by Michael Granberry at the Dallas Morning News, that includes a description of Hicks’ career, his later-in-life post in the Smithsonian’s Artist Research Fellowship Program, and his longtime advocacy of responsible environmentalism.
He will be missed.
also by Christina Rees
- Misty Keasler's 'Haunt' at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth - September 26th, 2017
- Tom Sachs at the Nasher Sculpture Center - September 19th, 2017
- Ray Harryhausen's Singular Movie Magic - September 3rd, 2017
- Artists, Self-Sabotage, Integrity, and Selling Out - August 20th, 2017
- Juan Mora: Culture Clash - August 1st, 2017